Get that “professionally decorated” feeling without spending money.
When times are tight financially, people will often omit the luxuries from their lives & their homes. Many people don’t have that expendable income they once knew for redecorating, and with the current real estate slow down in Vancouver, many people are not selling their homes & are making due. This is where the art of Redesign can become very beneficial and cost saving.
Some tips for creating a home with better flow & appeal can be done with a few easy steps:
1. Firstly, establish if each room is being used for its proper function, so that the space makes sense.
2. Declutter where necessary. We all love beautiful things, but just because this or that was “handed down” or a “gift”, doesn’t mean you have to have everything on display, all the time. It is easy enough to rotate things throughout the year and at the same time keeping your space less cluttered.
3. Make sure you hang artwork so that it is proportionate to the size of the wall. Don’t hang one small picture on a large wall or one large picture on a small wall. If you have many small pieces of art or family photos, put them in groupings rather than scattered around the room.
4. In family & living rooms, be sure to have furniture grouped close enough together to allow for conversation. Functional arrangements include “L” or “U” shapes – never have all of the furniture pushed against all 4 walls!
5. Sometimes a fresh coat of paint in a warm soothing colour can transform a space, with little cost to the home owner, especially if you do the painting yourself. With more time spent at home & not out in restaurants, a cozy space is very important.
At the end of the day, it is isn’t about making your home look like a show home, it’s about creating a space that feels right and makes you smile when you walk through the door each day.
If you feel like you don’t know where to begin, call Suze McCart with Suze Interiors to come in and spend an hour or two, to get you moving in the right direction. 25% discount on all Redesigns until Dec. 15, 2008.